Bellevue Trivia

Q: How did Bellevue get its name?

A: In 1835 under the charge of James H. Bell, Chief Engineer, the line from Tiffin to Sandusky was run through Amsden's Corners, a somewhat roundabout way, instead of the straight and shorter way to Sandusky. Amsden s Corners had a "boom." Mr. Amsden, Mr. Chapman, Dr. Harkness and Gurdon Williams purchased a town site, laid out a large plat with many lots and out of pure disinterested gratitude named the new allotment Bellevue, in honor of Mr.. Bell.


Q: Bellevue is in the part of Ohio know as 'The Firelands" - where did that name come from? 

A:  The Firelands or Sufferers' Lands tract was located at the western end of the Connecticut Western Reserve in what is now the U.S. state of Ohio. It took the name "Fire Lands" because it was intended as restitution for residents of the Connecticut towns of Danbury, Fairfield, Greenwich, Groton, New Haven, New London, Norwalk, and Ridgefield. They had been burned out of their homes in 1779  by British General Willam Tryon and in 1781 by Benedict Arnold during the American Revolutionary War. The area definition is now spelled as one word, "Firelands".


Q: Where did Lyme get its name from? 

A:  Lyme was named after the town of  Lyme, Connecticut which was named after the town of Lyme Regis in England. Many of the settlers in Lyme were from Connecticut due to The Firelands land grant and that is were the impetus came from.


Q: Where is York Cross Roads and Amsden Corners and how do they connect to Bellevue? 

A:  Bellevue was founded in 1815 as "York Cross Roads" when the first settlers built their log homes on Main Street. In 1819, Thomas G. Amsden from Ontario County, New York, and Frederick A. Chapman became interested in real estate at York Cross Roads. In 1823, Mr. Amsden opened the York Cross Roads first general store, and in 1825 Mr. Chapman became his partner. Their business was largely with the Indians trading furs of wild animals and current coin and received in barter for "store goods." The settlement now became known as Amsden s Corners. In the mid 1830s, James H. Bell, a civil engineer of the Mad River & Lake Erie Railroad, helped design a new station and called it “Bellevue” suggestive of his name. By 1836, the post office name was changed to Bellevue. By 1853, the City became known as Bellevue.

Are YOU Ready to PARTY!

Get involved with this years 2017 Taste of Tremont Block Party!!!

Below you will find information about sponsorships to this great Bellevue community event !

2017 Taste of Tremont Sponsor Letter

 

Sponsor Levels